Written by Dan Istvanik
As parents, it can be difficult to keep up with trends.
With a crazy work schedule, sports practices, and your commitment to church events is there any time to try keeping up with what your kids and their friends might be into? Most of us just don’t make time to stop and watch the latest entertainment show or spend an evening searching the internet.
While at the same time, your children are talking to their friends and spending time online a lot more than we would like to admit. Then comes that moment, when you hear a snippet of someone’s conversation or talk to another parent only to find out a recent movie, song, video game or YouTube video your kid just mentioned is not appropriate!
Even if they are not seeing that movie or listening to that song, their friends probably are. If kids are not watching or seeing what is trending, it is still influencing their world through fashion, catchphrases, and even dance moves. Can I get a witness all my Fortnite parents?
We are here to help you!
#Trendingparenting is a quick monthly dose of what is currently popular and going on in your kid’s world. We just want to help you keep up a little with the trends that affect your kids so you can do your best to protect their mind, heart, and spirit.
Here are this month’s lists of trends, with links to the original location of the information. If you have the time and would like to do more research, we suggest that you check them out. We have also included links at the end of this blog post to websites where you can find helpful, family-focused reviews and see complete unedited lyrics. Please keep in mind, this is real world information and unedited for you as parents. Some of the content, topics, and lyrics may be offensive in nature.
Trending Movies for Mid-October (According to Rotten Tomatoes)
- A Star is Born
- Night School
- The House with a Clock in the Wall
Trending Songs for Mid-October (According to Billboard, Hot 100)
- “Girls Like Me” – Maroon 5, featuring Cardi B
- “Mona Lisa” – Lil Wayne, featuring Kendrick Lamar
- “Lucid Dream” – Juice WRLD
- “Don’t Cry” – Lil Wayne, featuring XXXTentecon
- “Sicko Mode” – Travis Scott
Trending Downloaded Songs for Mid-October (According to I-Tunes)
- “Natural” – Imagine Dragons
- “Youngblood” – 5 Seconds of Summer
- “On My Way to You” – Cody Johnson
- “Simple” – Florida Georgia Line
- “Mercy” – Brett Young
Trending TV Broadcast TV Shows for Mid-October (According to Neilsen)
- NBC Sunday Night Football
- Fox Thursday Night Football
- The Big Bang Theory
- NBC Sunday Night Football Pre-Game Show
Trending Videos Bought for Console and PC: (According to Neilsen)
- Red Dead Redemption
- FIFA 19
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Marvel’s Spiderman (PS4)
- Fallout 76
Trending YouTube Videos for Mid-October (According to YouTube)
- “Tenacious D Gets Rocked by Hot Wings” – First We Feast
- “10 of the World’s Craziest Tents You Can Actually Buy” – Dope or Nope
- “Superhero Therapy” – Rudy Mancuso
- “Rick Brian – History (Official Version)” – 88 Rising
- “Mean Tweets – Music Edition 5” – Jimmy Kimmel Live
Trending Google Searches for Mid-October (According to Google Realtime)
- Love at First Sight
- Mega Millions Winning Numbers
- YouTube Down
- The Conners Show
Trending Hashtags for Mid-October (According to Hashtagfiy)
Helpful Resources Sites For Reviews and Research
DAN ISTVANIK is our Lead Content Writer at Ministry to Parents and is also a 5th to 8th-grade pastor in Lancaster, PA. He has been working in youth ministry for over 22 years, serving churches in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Virginia. He is a speaker, ministry coach, and writer, contributing to a variety of other great ministry resources. He shares daily middle school ministry specific resources, and hints on his own site “The Middle Years” at WWW.MIDDLEYEARSMINISTRY.COM